The Peoples’ Assembly, Bringing Our People Together, is taking place on Saturday, November 30.
Time: 9 am – 4 pm
Where: TWO locations, Port Alberni’s Barclay Hotel and Burnaby’s Executive Inn (4201 Lougheed Hwy., near Gilmore Skytrain Station).
VICTORIA BC pick up location
6:15 AM @ the Tillicum Mall, by Old Navy
NANAIMO BC Pick up Location
8:00 AM @ Departure Bay Terminal
If you have not already called to reserve a seat on the bus please do so by calling Kristen Young at the Anacla Government Office 1.888.644.4555.
So, you made it to the meeting for 9 AM in Burnaby or Port Alberni on Saturday….what’s next?
- Breakfast will be provided (hot food as well)
- If you are a Huu-ay-aht voter (citizen and at least 18 years old on Saturday), you will be asked to sign in and you will receive a numbered voting card. This helps us determine if we have QUORUM or not. We need a total of 95 voters.
- You are also going to use that same numbered voting card at the end of the day at the Port Alberni meeting to claim your sockeye (numbers 1 -50 will receive 4 frozen sockeye, 51 -100 will receive 2 sockeye, 101+ will receive 1 sockeye)
- The Huu-ay-aht children from the Bamfield Community School will present a cultural performance while we wait for quorum to be achieved
- You will have an opportunity to have digital family photos taken in Port Alberni on Saturday morning
- If you need to replace or apply for a status card, you will be able to do so in Port Alberni on Saturday morning
- Children’s activities in Port Alberni (see information below)
- When we have quorum, the Speaker will begin the meeting
- Christmas lunch in both locations
- Door prizes (both locations) and sockeye distribution (Port Alberni location only) after the meeting—only available to those who are present
Children’s Activities at the Port Alberni Peoples’ Assembly
Kathy Waddell, Director of Human Services, describes what to expect for parents: There will be arts & crafts, games, Lego, trains, dvds/TV and books. There is an Early Child Educator providing “child minding” and facilitating the activities. Her name is Jess and she has a first aid ticket and a clear criminal record check. She will have a volunteer from the Human Services program at North Island College to help her out and there will be HFN youth to help out as well. She is expecting children aged 3 and up but will be ok with younger if the child is happy and content to play. Parents are still responsible for their own children and meeting their needs (diapering, toileting, food, water). If a child wants to go see their parent they will be brought back into the meeting.
Pictured today: HFN and HDC staff located at the Anacla Government Office invite you to Peoples’ Assembly. Back row (l-r): Coral Johnson, Phyllis Williams, Kristen Young, Sarah Johnson. Front row (l-r): Wilfred Dennis, Councillor Charlie Clappis, Stephen Smith, Edward Johnson Jr., Stefan Ochman
Previous posts:3 Days Until Peoples’ Assembly, 4 Days Until Peoples’ Assembly, 5 Days Until Peoples’ Assembly, 8 Days Until Peoples’ Assembly, 9 Days Until Peoples’ Assembly, 10 Days Until Peoples’ Assembly, 11 Days Until Peoples’ Assembly, 12 Days Until Peoples’ Assembly